The rules of this award are as follows:
- Post eleven facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create eleven questions for people you have nominated.
- Choose eleven people to give this award to (with less than 200 followers) and link them in your post.
- Go to their page and tell them and
- Remember no tag backs.
I’ll play. Here we go:
- I grew up in Los Alamos, New Mexico. The town is at an altitude of 7200 feet in the Jemez Mountains – one of the southern ranges in the Rockies.
- I’ve been living in the UK since September 2006. Although I reserve the word home for northern New Mexico, I’m starting to grow a few roots here in Cambridgeshire.
- I’ve only ever had one pet, Ink, the cat. He passed away in the summer of 2012. Eventually we may get another pet, but he’ll always be my muse.
- At university, I majored in English and Physics. I went on graduate school in Physics. Then I went on to graduate school in English education. Then I taught high school English for a short time. That was incredibly tough! I left teaching. On a fluke, I found teaching physics was much more rewarding for me. So I returned to the classroom and taught physics for many years, requiring students to read books and write the odd essay. Now I have my own company and write scripts and narratives for short animations created in India used to teach physics in South Africa. So, as you can see, it’s all been proceeding exactly according to plan.
- After a year of diligent tea-making, I have come to the conclusion that it really does make a difference if the water is added just off the boil. It’s even better if you warm the mug up, too, in these cold English houses!
- I have never managed to complete a stamp-card in a coffee shop for a free cup of coffee.
- I like to run. I like to eat chocolate. Not at the same time, but the two go together well.
- I play cello. I’ve played in many different levels of orchestras, ranging from community orchestras where the bass section was mostly deaf to my current orchestra, the Cambridge Philharmonic, where the bass section is decidedly NOT deaf. I love playing orchestral music because I love being in the middle of all that sound and texture. Although I wasn’t a music major and have never played professionally, I treasure the privilege of getting to play and learn amazing pieces of music.
- I knew which music and musicians would play at my wedding ceremony before I knew who I was going marry.
- For three years, I lived in a house with the address of 314. We called it the ‘pi house.’ In retrospect, we should have called it the 100pi house.
- The best taste is freshly roasted Hatch green chile. The best smell is burning piñon in woodstoves on cold nights in New Mexico.
- What is your favourite board game? Not chess. Maybe Scrabble.
- What is your best childhood memory? Hiking in the canyons and mountains with my friends.
- The word you like best and why? Periwinkle. I like the way it sounds this morning.
- If you could learn anything, what would it be? I’d like to speak another language well.
- What is your favourite hobby? Not sure.
- If you can have a meal with anybody, who would you want it to be with? My husband.
- What is your favourite dessert? Sacher torte and espresso.
- What scares you the most and why? Committee work. Ugh.
- If you could play any musical instrument, which one would it be? I’d like to try out Yo-Yo Ma’s Stradivarius.
- Did you ever take part in a team sport? If so which one? Is debate a sport? Otherwise, one year in middle school I ran track.
- What would your wish be for the world? More people to listen more carefully.
- Why do you write?
- What’s your favorite destination when you daydream?
- What’s your favorite destination when you travel?
- How many pairs of shoes do you have?
- What do you see right now if you look out the window?
- What’s the first book you remember reading?
- What’s the first book you remember loving?
- Have you ever fallen in love at first sight? With who/what?
- What’s something you’ve never understood?
- How far do you live now from where you grew up?
- Who is your oldest friend?
My nominations – I have no idea really how many followers these blogs have (they may well be over 200), but I enjoy them all! Have a look! Writers – no worries if you’re caught up in other projects/posts at the moment, pass on the award whenever you’re so inspired.
spoiled fruits of empire (this was already nominated once, but she’s a great writer so, I second the nomination – go read her blog!).
Running Sunflower (who, I see, has just been nominated by someone else, but take that as a sign to go read her posts!)